Fire Safety Engineering
The building industry is constantly innovating in pursuit of environmental, economic and construction efficiency. It is the role of the fire safety engineer to understand, anticipate and react to these innovations to ensure that disaster is avoided.
Fire Safety Engineering is the application of scientific and engineering principles, rules [Codes], and expert judgment, based on an understanding of the phenomena and effects of fire and of the reaction and behavior of people to fire, to protect people, property and the environment from the destructive effects of fire.
These objectives will be achieved by a variety of means including such activities as:
- the assessment of the hazards, risks of fire and its effects,
- the mitigation of potential fire damage by, proper design, construction and layout use of buildings, materials used, structures, industrial processes, transportation systems and similar
- the appropriate level of evaluation for the optimum preventive and protective measures necessary to limit the consequences of fire,
- the design, installation, maintenance and/or development of fire detection, fire suppression, fire control. Also fire related communication systems and equipment,
- the direction and control of appropriate equipment and manpower in the strategy and function of fire fighting and rescue operations,
- Post-fire investigation and analysis, evaluation and feedback.
Fire Safety Engineering Services are mainly used for the new building planning stage, modification of planning stage. Fire Safety Engineering Services is mainly focused on the Life Safety with National and International Code and standards.